Unless you've been living under a rock you'll no doubt be well aware of the fantastic work Vitaliy Kiselev has done unlocking features in both the Panasonic GH1 and GH2 and the latest version of his firmware for the GH2 has taken things one step further!
It was this article at EOSHD that bought the fact to my attention, the noise at iso 12,800 is obviously somewhat high but when combined with one of the high bitrate modes of the hack it is rendered like a fine film grain instead of being smudged by the high compression of the standard bitrate. The result while slightly gritty is very film like and amazingly attractive to watch, it also means that you can film under incredibly dark conditions!
The GH2 is a great camera on it's own but Vitaliy really turns it into something amazing, I never cease to be amazed at how far this little camera can be pushed! I can't imagine any of the expensive professional digital video cameras could give this kind of quality at ISO 12,800!
Just take a look at the amazing video! Credit to the talented Andrew Reid at EOSHD
Darkness Seeker from Andrew Reid on Vimeo.
Then Take a look at this video using the same hack by John Twigt shot in colour at ISO 10,000 with some mild noise reduction applied, it's iso 10,000!!!!!! Not 1000, 10,000!!! Amazing!
Gh2 Color footage 10.000 ASA ISO test from John Twigt @ Workstation.nl on Vimeo.
- ► 2012 (31)
- Review: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM L IS
- Review: Fujian 35mm F/1.7 C-Mount CCTV Lens
- Latest Panasonic GH2 hack unlocks mind blowing ISO...
- Sony NEX-7 on Ebay, How much will it go for?
- Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 Di III VC for Sony NEX S...
- Olympus announces the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-50mm f...
- Review: Samyang 18-28mm F/4-4.5
- NEX-7......Now I'm not so sure...
- SLR Magic Update: I was wrong!
- ▼ December (9)